Computing Retirement Benefits for Safety Employees
Fill the form and click the Calculate button to estimate benefits:
|Semi Monthly Retirement Amount:
Fill the form and click the Calculate button
The calculator on this page may be used to estimate your potential service retirement benefits. This calculator allows you to enter information to obtain an unofficial estimate of your GERS benefit. This is not an official GERS estimate, and it does not include all retirement options available to GERS members. The GERS benefits calculator is a tool designed to allow you to estimate your own retirement benefit when planning for your retirement.
Which Tier Are You? Tier I: Hired Before September 30, 2005 Tier II: Hired on or after October 1, 2005
Who are Safety Employees?
- Eligible employee of the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority;
- Eligible Employee working with chlorine, sewage or carcinogens;
- Fireman - including employed by the Virgin Islands Port Authority,
- Marshal of the Superior Court;
- Internal Affairs Agents to include but not limited to the Director and Assistant Director and agents of the Internal Affairs Bureau of the Virgin Islands Police Department
- Peace Officer as defined in Title 5 Section 3561, Virgin Islands Code;
- Emergency Medical Technician
- A Radiology or X-Ray Technician employed by the Department of Health or the Virgin Islands Hospitals;
- Correction Officer of combination thereof.
- Police Officer;
- Firefighter, including a fireman or police officer employed by the Virgin Islands Port Authority;
- Marshal of the Supreme or Superior Court;
- Corrections Officer or combination thereof.
Full Service Retirement:
A safety employee may apply for full service retirement when they have attained:
- Tier I: 20 years of credited service, regardless of age, calculated at 3.0%
- Tier II: 20 years of credited service, regardless of age, calculated at 2.10%
A Safety employee may apply for early retirement when they have attained:
- Tier I: 10 years of service and at least 55 years of age calculated at 2.5% without any age based penalty
- Tier II: 10 years of service and at least 55 years of age calculated at 1.75% without any age based penalty
Retiree benefits are increased by a percentage rate determined yearly by the Board of Trustees upon attaining age 60 and upon completing one year on the retiree payroll.